Sunday, August 30, 2009

Unintended "positive" results

For the last three weeks, we have been presenting different Hymns programs at three different Churches. In each of these places I have been surprised by unanticipated, positive events.

This is made more amazing to me because in my career as a Television Producer and Director, the essence of those positions is "control" of everything -- there are no unintended effects; the effect of the production and the emotions raised is totally intentional. If something else happened that was positive, then you took credit for it, but privately, you had to say to yourself -- I should have thought of that; that wasn't very good of me. Of course, the negative unintended result was totally unacceptable. This was my career -- creating positive moments, not negative ones.

Yet, in these three Hymn programs, it is being demonstrated to me that despite all of my planning, there is another element in the mix -- and I can only ascribe it to the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I am here but don't see anything about Longfellow. I am from Maine originally so I always think of him as my favorite poet. I am very partial to
    Evangeline as my ancestors were Acadians. What the British did to the Acadians can be likened to what we did to native Americans. Brian Tucker

    ReplyDelete