Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pictures









Today, I picked up our vacation pictures. They are precious moments frozen in time, which most of us are sure that we will never forget. The truth is, we do forget -- the year, the place, his face. And then, after we pass, our heirs dig through boxes and books, wondering who these people were and why they were smiling.

Was this my Dad's Uncle who lived on a Riverboat? Who is that baby Cousin Elbert is holding?
My Mom's pregnant in this one, but with me or my sister?

Joan, my wife, is compulsive about labeling, dating and order numbering our pictures. She has done this since were were married in 1966. Do you want a copy of Aunt Peggy's picture I took in 1973? Joan can lay her hands on the picture and the negative in a matter of minutes.

Her sense of order extends to letters and checks as well. Every letter her Father wrote to her while she was at Ohio University is in order and boxed, ready for a reference; each check we have written is likewise in little check boxes by month and year, awaiting some tax inquiry about a contribution to our church.
I am sure that Joan's genealogical pursuits have something to do with this need for the columns and decimal points to line up. Nevertheless, it is very impressive.

Having said this, I am sure you can understand her (and now my) angst over the fact that we have lost the camera! The search will be relentless.

No comments:

Post a Comment