Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Proof Copy

The "proof copy" of my book, "Cottonwood Pass," has arrived. It is gratifying and annoying all at the same time. The gratification is understandable, but the annoyance is that I have to read it ... again.

Each time I re-read it, I discover something -- maybe "demanded" would have been stronger or that I used "scare quotes" too many times on one page.

I am reminded each time I start reading it again, how much work there is still left to do -- marketing, bookstores, personal contacts, mailing to reviewers. And, then there is the rejection.

What I really want to do is to get started on the next one; the research will be extensive and fun, with whole new words to invent.

What I should be doing, however, is working on the Hymns Program at Spray Beach Chapel on Sunday. I know the first part will be about translators and the second part will be about Hymns as personal statements of faith, but I need to research and write about a Japanese Hymn that I am including, which is set in the "gagaku mode." And, then there is my voice. I have to get it prepared to sing for an hour. While I have occasionally exercised it, I am not ready for an hour.

The proof copy has arrived. I'll read it till Noon and then get on to the Hymns and rehearse at 4:00 for an hour. A plan!

Starting at Chapter 1 ...
***************************************************************

Chapter 1

She had betrayed me. I couldn’t get past this thought. My wife of six years had never said anything to me about needing more; she simply had slept with strangers, numbers of them. I was not bad in bed – other women had assured me of that – but there it was. Clear digital pictures, unphotoshopped pictures of Julie with three -- THREE other men. It was more than I could bear. I turned my cell phone off; I didn’t want to hear anything from her. I left quickly – a few clothes, my laptop. I left without regard for her. To get back at her, I placed one of the pictures on the table – no note, just she and the accountant on his couch ...

No comments:

Post a Comment