Friday, August 14, 2009

The Giles Family Garden

Each year, I plant a vegetable garden. It is small -- about 15 by 30 feet. Perhaps the garden is a recognition of my familial roots, as my Giles ancestors and my Borders ancestors were farmers. But I tell myself that I do it for the Grand Children, who take such pride in struggling to carry large, over-ripe Zucchini back to the house.





Each year, I battle the animals that live over our stone wall in the woods, who recognize the nutritional value of tender green leaves. The fox, the rabbits, the skunks, ground hogs, possums, raccoon and deer have developed a taste for the fruits of my labor. This year, the deer discovered that they like Blue Lake Green Beans!



Each year, when I begin harvesting the sweet and succulent bounty of the garden, I marvel at the vigor and the desire to live that is in each seed planted. Despite the animals, the lack of rain, my inattention, and the competition of weeds, the vegetables produce.

Each year, as I stand among the tomatoes in the garden, I remember the scene from "The Godfather" where Marlon Brando is playing with his Grand Son among the tomatoes... and wonder.

1 comment: