Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Great Heats -- Behind the scenes

I began writing this novel of historic fiction in September of 2009. Writing mostly every day, the writing was finished in April. Then I began the painful (for me) act of revision. Going back over the words, choosing better words, eliminating unnecessary passages, saying what I really meant to say, using consistent character names rather than changing the name from chapter to chapter.

I gave it to Joan to read. She is a rock when it comes to the rules of grammar, so my pages were well-marked when she had finished. simultaneously, I gave portions of it to people specifically chosen for their reaction -- to grand daughters who are readers, to an academic for his expertise and sensitivities in burials.

I sent it to an editor to conform it to the Chicago Manual of Style who took all of my double space bar hits down to one -- who knew that one space was the new standard? I also got very confused about "Chief of Chiefs Village" not being possessive, deserving an apostrophe.

Then I shopped it around to several publishers and a couple of agents. I knew that the first paragraph of Chapter One was not "snappy" and full of questions, but I wanted to start the book and end it in the same vein; the final line of the Epilogue was written first but echoes the first line of Chapter One and that is what I wanted, which was perhaps too subtle for publications managers who see hundreds of first paragraphs a day -- only. They don't read the last one as well. I still like the structure, despite what it may have cost me.

Now, October, finally that process is underway. I had hoped for it to be published this year, but now I am not sure.

I think it is very good. Although some of the words are unfamiliar renderings of contemporary words (due to the setting 1000 years ago), it is still an easy reading experience. And, even though it has moments of tragedy, it is balanced by emotion and sensuality in between. Such as:

"She looked deeply into my eyes and whispered, 'I want to join with you.' "

Hmmm. Maybe I should have opened the book with that line! RATS!!

"Hello, Publisher. Is it too late to make a teeny-weenie change?"

No comments:

Post a Comment