Sunday, July 19, 2009

Waiting ...

Am waiting for the proofs of Cottonwood Pass to be returned from the publisher. Time is passing quickly as two weeks of vacation nears when it will be difficult to take the time to edit.

For your amusement, below I have attached an excerpt from the book where the main character proposes to his friend, Julie:

**************************************
The awkward phone call I made announcing my Chicago move to Julie is something we have joked about in the ensuing years.

“Julie. Hi. I wanted to call you to say that I’m going to be transferring to Chicago for a great career move and … I wanted to know … if … youwanttogetmarriedandmovetoChicagowithme?”

There was silence on the other end of the phone. “Al, you have taken my breath away. Isn’t there supposed to be a ring … or I take you home to meet my parents … or you get down on your knees …”

“I am on my knees,” I assured her.

“You are in your office on your knees,” she asked with skepticism in her voice.

“Absolutely.”

“Aren’t there some other words you are supposed to say?” she asked.

“Julie, I love you. I love everything about you. We are perfect together. We share the same views on everything. We’ve never argued in the six years we’ve known each other. It’s true that I’ve never met your parents, never tasted your cooking and truthfully don’t have a ring – but those are just details to be worked out. What’s important is … we love each other. So will you marry me?”

“YES,” and she began to laugh which turned into tears as both of us wept into the phone in happiness and relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment