Saturday, September 26, 2009

Third Novel

I have not written for the past week or so as I have been concentrating on marketing the newest work, "Cottonwood Pass." Chapter one in the new book is becoming a hurdle and will be much longer than I had anticipated. It is now over 6500 words and has several scenes in it.

Part of the slowness of the process is that as I am writing, what I write causes me to stop and research the Hopewell Culture. The nature and habits of Freshwater Mussels halted me last. A statement in one of the archaeological references I have, noted that one mound, probably of the Fort Ancient peoples, contained a great number of freshwater pearls which seemed to me to be astounding. So, off I went trying to find freshwater biologists and malacologists who could answer questions about harvesting, eating mussels, shell uses, etc.; writing stopped.

The second novel has also consumed me -- with marketing it. I have been around marketing since the early 70's but I never quite "got it." Now, I am finding out the hard way. The latest revelation -- there is no way to track whether or not a post card was delivered and ended up in the hands of the right person!

Right now, I would rather retreat to the comfortable isolation of my thoughts and the keyboard and let the second book flounder on its own on Amazon. Oh, wait! Here is Powell's Book's requirements for self-published authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment