Monday, July 11, 2011

Editors

I have enjoyed working with editors because in their picky, prickly way they make me a better writer. For example, I have almost stopped Emphasizing some words in the middle of a sentence by capitalizing them.

I now know the difference and the proper use of "stairs" vs "steps" and "until" vs. "til." I still have problems with consistency -- "Dad" in some paragraphs, but my "Father" in other places in the same chapter (or page).

Then there is the dash or more specifically, the em dash and the en dash, not to be confused with the hyphen. I'm playing it safe in my writing these days by always using the em dash after getting many laughs and smiley faces from an editor who took particular delight in pointing out the mistake I kept making over and over.

The hyphen -- or more correctly, the compound adjective hyphen linking two words -- recently reared its head in a short story I wrote where the main character was carrying a 10-gauge shotgun. In other paragraphs, the character was simply carrying the 10 gauge. The editor didn't like the inconsistency of hyphen or no hyphen and suggested that I pick one and stick with it.

Finally, there is the exclamation point! Personally, I think it looks better with a space between it and the word, otherwise, it looks like another letter in the word and loses some of its Emphasis.
(Don't get me started on... ellipses.)

"I try to limit my use of an exclamation point to one every 10,000 words!"
~~ William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment