Thursday, May 26, 2011

You Can Plant More in a Crooked Row Than a Straight one

How many ways can you interpret this?
.
At this time of the year when we are planting our gardens, planting them in straight lines seems the time-tested way to go. It is certainly visually appealing to people like me. Straight lines help you fertilize and weed in an efficient manner. But, if you bend the straight line, it is longer allowing more plants to be planted.
.
My personal desires may have caused a more circuitous route to achieve the goal, since a straight-line, direct approach to my first love, Diane, and all thereafter, including Mrs. Giles, would have resulted in not just a rebuke, but a right hook as well.
.
Is truth more curvy than it is straight? Perhaps, I could lead a reckless life, a life of "riotous living" and then at life's end bend it back to the straight line I started, finding redemption and acceptance in doing so.
.
My father-in-law sold insurance, mostly life and auto, and often would get the put-off line from a prospective customer, "let me think about your proposal, Al, and I'll get back to you." With understated sincerity, Al would reply, "Yes, please do that, but... give me a day -- no, better make that two -- before you have that accident, so I can write the policy up for you."
.
Would that we all knew about that "accident" about to happen. Or, when the customer sales rep asks, "on the credit card, Mr. Giles, when is your expiration date?" Hmmm. Let me check under my left arm pit for life's calendar. My expiration date, huh.
.
I always sincerely wish people luck with their five year plans -- their straight line to something. Even when the die is cast and the future looks predictable, stuff happens. After all, Joan -- my wife of 45 years -- married a school teacher with the summers off who had curly hair!
.
Sometimes, curves are more interesting than straight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment