Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Touch Now!


December 1, 1977 -- the launch of QUBE, the first interactive TV experiment in Columbus, Ohio, by Warner Cable. -- and I was there, 33 years ago.

Five months earlier, I had been in Cincinnati at WCPO-TV as the Executive Producer of Programming, a position I had held for three years. In my office at Channel 9, I was reading the July edition of Broadcasting Magazine, when I noted under equipment purchases, that Warner Cable of Columbus had purchased nine studio/portable RCA cameras.

The article piqued my curiosity so I made a few calls and became aware that an old acquaintance -- Ron Castell -- was involved. Through him, I met with Mike Dann, a CBS legend of programming, who was involved in QUBE, as was Dr. Vivian Horner of Children's Television Workshop, and Steve Carlin, the creator and Producer of the 50's game show "The 64,000 Question." Someone had assembled a stellar cast of Television luminaries for this project, and I wanted to be involved as well.

Cable Television, at that time, 1977, was confined to rural areas and the suburbs, but the real money for cable companies was to be made in the cities when the number of family units per mile was a 20-100 times what it was in the tree-lined single family dwellings on the outskirts. QUBE was Warner's way of demonstrating to city governments that Warner had the star power, the technology, and the stamina to be the choice for the long run.

Over some mild objections from my wife, we moved to Westerville to become a part of QUBE. (Her objections to my relocation would get stronger and stronger after this, our third house.)

As a Producer-Host for "Columbus Alive," a live two hour talk show, December 1, 1977 was the start of a series that I would be a part of for the next two years. QUBE lived up to its hype by developing interactive programming -- game shows, talk shows, "You-Call Football," kid's shows -- pay-per-view programming, a remote control, 15 or so specialized channels, including one called Nickelodeon and another that would grow to become MTV. And -- get this -- a weather channel.

Another by-product of QUBE, was that it produced a deep and intense level of friendship among the 300 or so who were there -- unlike any staff relationship at any TV facility of which I have been a part. Reunions, phone calls, lunches, Facebook, emails, all serve to keep the contact and camaraderie going.

WOULD YOU BE A PART OF QUBE TODAY?
1. Yes
2. No
TOUCH NOW!

(Touching 1)


2 comments:

  1. Marge Kehrer RedmondDecember 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

    It was a great experience and I consider myself very fortunate to have worked with you, Ron:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Columbus Alive with Susan Goldwater.It was a great show .I remember that old piano.Qube was exciting...Phil Donahue did a special show on it.

    ReplyDelete