Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Writing: The Ceremony of One


Chapter two has now grown to 14,000 words -- and it is not over. The Ceremony of One, a wedding scene of 1,000 years ago in what is now middle America, is the scene I just finished writing, but have not edited. For your enjoyment, Dear Reader, I have copied below some of the seven vows sequence that the two principals in this scene -- Young Heron and Lone Bird -- have taken.
Only the birds could be heard, as we began, taking three steps together. We then turned and faced each other; I spoke first. “Before these people, I promise to honor and protect you.”

Lone Bird responded, “Before these people, our friends, I promise to honor and inspire you.”

Walking again thee steps, I turned to speak to Lone Bird. “I promise that we will share the responsibility of our shelter and our food, together.”

Lone Bird responded, “And I promise that we will share the responsibility of our shelter and our food together.

As we made our commitments, the crowd began to whisper sounds of understanding and approval.

We stopped again. I started, “May our life together be long and prosperous, and may the Great Spirit bless us with children. I promise to share the responsibility of educating our children.”

“And, Young Heron,” Lone Bird said loudly with a grin, “should we be so blessed, I promise that I will share the responsibility of children with you.” Lone Bird’s playful response was totally unexpected, and when the crowd heard it, there was a smattering of laughter that grew louder quickly, with most of the laughing sounds and whistles coming from the women in the crowd who approved of Lone Bird’s humor and courage. Lone Bird and I were laughing, as well.

When the crowd sounds diminished, she continued, “And I promise to share the responsibility of educating our children.”

We walked on, in step with each other, stopping a fourth time. Holding her hand, I said ”I promise to be devoted to you, and only you, as my One.”

Taking my other hand, Lone Bird said to me, “And I promise to be devoted to you and only you, as my One.”

Dropping our hands, we walked on side-by-side, then stopped.

“Lone Bird, I promise to be with you through the joys and the sorrows of our time on earth.”

“And, Young Heron, I promise to be with you during our joys and I promise also to be by your side through sorrows.” We walked on.

Stopping a sixth time, I turned to her and pledged, “I want always to fill your heart with happiness and peace.”


Lone Bird looked softly at me and said in a sincere voice, “I promise to fill your heart with happiness and peace, over and over, year after year.” A collective sigh came from the crowd, as we moved on to the last stop.
"The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." ~~ William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment